Sunday 16 August 2009

Making Hay while the Sun Shines!


Whilst out collecting old grass cuttings and hay around the garden I realised I was surrounded by a NATURE Idioms lesson on the make! So inspired by my wheelbarrow full of hay and out in the hot midday sun (yes, I know!! Before you say it, here it is-Only Mad dogs and Englishmen/ladies go out in the midday sun!), I began to muse about which idioms or similes I could use for this particular blog posting.

As Busy as a Bee
Photo above courtesy of KRB
Here is a very nice lesson from BBC Learning English on "BEE" idioms.

At the same time as trying to do my bit to control the jungle that is getting ever bigger by the day, I am in the middle of writing up feedback on my recent teaching experience in Oxford. I was truly "as busy as a bee" during those 4 weeks with work and family committments but I managed to "juggle a few frogs around". Talking about frogs, I spotted one this very morning in amongst my plant pots. It won't last long on this planet if Joey or Victoria get to see it!

Frog photo courtesy of KRB

Here are 3 "BIRD" idioms from BBC Learning English.




I have just found a fascinating article about Blue Tits embracing aromatherapy. Read more in BBC - Earth News. I love lavander and I would like to have a garden full of it (one day...)I also like the sound of apple mint...

A Great Site for Nature Idioms
Have a look at these 20 Idioms on Nature and then try out this fantastic Nature Idioms quiz from www.englishclub.com.

Here's another quiz on Gardening Idioms from the BBC Learning English Quizzes website.

Photo above taken from Barnet Bee Keepers

Have a BEE-utiful day!

1 comment:

The TEFL Tradesman said...

Now that guy must be the last (and I don't mean it as in 'ultimate') thing in Tefl fashion. The board-marker tucked under the braces is definitely the coolest thing I've ever seen since I used to keep mine under my headband!